Piscataway, NJ DWI Defense Lawyer
Most states call drunk driving “DUI” (Driving Under the Influence). In New Jersey, this offense is called “DWI” when it involves alcohol (Driving While Intoxicated), and “DUID” when it involves marijuana or other controlled substances (Driving Under the Influence of Drugs). In Piscataway, a DWI or DUID conviction can lead to heavy fines, community service, and even potential jail time. Because of the severe penalties for DWI in New Jersey, it is crucial to be represented by an experienced Piscataway defense lawyer if you’ve been arrested for intoxicated driving.
At Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates, our DWI defense attorneys have been defending clients in New Jersey’s courts for more than 30 years. Our trusted legal team has represented thousands of defendants in drunk driving cases, and we are ready to put our skill and experience to work on your behalf. We’ll make sure you understand the legal process, know the details of the charges against you, and that your rights were not violated during your arrest. For a free legal consultation, contact our Piscataway drunk driving lawyers at (609) 257-4019, or contact Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates online.
Piscataway DWI Defense Attorneys Can Fight Your Drunk Driving Charges
DWI laws vary based on where the charge occurred, whether this is your first offense, whether someone was injured because of the offense, whether additional crimes took place, and a variety of other issues. Trying to sort through the intricate details alone can be overwhelming and leave you with legal repercussions for years.
You need a New Jersey defense attorney who knows the law and can counsel you on the strongest course of action, so that you receive the best possible outcome to your circumstances. At Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates, we have decades of experience handling DWI arrests in the Piscataway region. We know the defenses inside and out, and will fight aggressively to reduce your penalties or even have your case dismissed. We handle all types of DWI charges in Piscataway, including:
- DWI in a school zone
- DWI resulting in injury
- DWI with a suspended license
- DWI with minor passengers
- First offense DWI
- Second offense DWI
- Third offense DWI
- Underage DWI
NJ DWI Penalties
In New Jersey, the penalties for a drunk driving conviction or drugged driving conviction depend on several factors. These factors include:
- Whether it was your first, second, or third/subsequent offense
- Whether the DWI took place in a school zone
- Whether the offense involved alcohol or narcotics
- Whether you were driving with a suspended license
- Whether you were under the legal drinking age of 21
- Your blood alcohol content (BAC), in cases involving alcohol
Penalties for First Offense DWI in NJ
The punishments for a first time DWI in New Jersey may include:
- A jail sentence of up to 30 days
- A fine of $250 to $400
- A license suspension period of at least three months
- A minimum of 12 hours at an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- An insurance surcharge of $1,000 per year for three years ($3,000 total)
Penalties for Second Offense DWI in NJ
Punishment for a second time DWI in New Jersey could include:
- A jail sentence ranging from 48 hours to 90 days
- A fine ranging from $500 to $1,000, plus a $3,000 insurance surcharge
- A license suspension period of at least two years
- A total of 48 hours at an IDRC
- Up to three years with an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your vehicle after your driver’s license is reinstated
Penalties for Third Offense DWI in NJ
If you are convicted of a third DWI in New Jersey, you may face the following penalties:
- A jail sentence of up to 180 days (six months) or more
- A fine of at least $1,000, plus an insurance surcharge of $1,500 per year for three years ($4,500 total)
- A license suspension period of at least 10 years
- Mandatory treatment at an inpatient center for alcoholism
- Up to three years with an IID
DWI Fines, Fees, and Surcharges
In addition to the fines and surcharges described above, DWIs also trigger the following fees:
- Drunk Driving Enforcement Fund – $100
- Intoxicated Driving Program – $100
- Motor Vehicle Commission – $100
- Safe and Secure Community Program – $75
- Violent Crimes Compensation Fund – $50
These fees may be charged regardless of whether it was your first, second, or third DWI offense.
NJ Breathalyzer Refusal Penalties
Refusing to take a breathalyzer test can also trigger penalties, because the refusal constitutes a violation of New Jersey’s “implied consent” law. Under this law, not only can drivers who refuse be fined – they will also automatically have their licenses suspended.
Piscataway DWI Lawyers Offering Free Legal Consultations
An experienced Piscataway DWI attorney from Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates can work with you and for you to reduce or dismiss your charges, depending on your circumstances. If you have been arrested and charged with DUI or DUID in Piscataway, do not speak with the police about the charge or charges against you. Call our law offices immediately for assistance. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We make emergency jail or holding center visits, and offer free initial consultations.
Don’t try to take the law into your own hands or face DWI charges alone. You can reach one of our drunk driving defense attorneys by contacting Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates online, or by calling (609) 257-4019 today.